Thursday, January 24, 2019

Dear anorexia, you’ve done it again - poem

6/1/19
Dear anorexia, you’ve done it again
You lied, you tricked me, you pretended to be my friend. 
You saw I was scared, vulnerable and lost
You watched my every move and planned to take me at any cost. 

It’s been 6 months since I made the move back home
It should’ve been filled with happy memories and so
Do you see what you’ve done, over again? 
Do you see the damage you reap, how you drive me insane. 
You started of with just a whisper, a nudge toward you and your ideas 
You were so quiet and calm, I believed you, 
It appears optimism is my weakness. 
You see I believed what you said, I believed I was in control, 
I thought I knew better this time
And that you could help console 
The fear I felt, how self conscious I was 
The chaos my head was in, 
With all the unfamiliarity and instability within. 

You weren’t anorexia, not then at least, 
You were the routine I craved and a familiar voice. 
And I can’t pinpoint when you changed, when you became so violent and abusive
I can’t tell you exactly when you started to call me stupid
And pathetic and worthless and a burden to all
And fat and disgusting and a failure to say the least 
And you got louder, deafening in my ears as you won the battle and the number decreased. 

And I should be happy because I’m doing what you say 
But don’t you see what actually happened? 
My will, my hope, my smile began to decay. 
You have filled my mind with meaningless numbers
And rituals and rules and do you see how it covers
Every thought and behaviour, all I say and do
Do you see how you’ve broken me
And so I sit here, trying to construe
Why, why me? What have I done? 
Haven’t I made it clear that
I want to live, and have fun. 

So anorexia, congratu-fucking-lations 
Because I’m your puppet again
Because I am unable to distinguish 
Where you begin and I end. 
You’ve reduced my self worth to the number on the scale
To my weight, my shape and my size 
And you see, anorexia, really it shouldn’t come as any surprise. 
Because you take, you take all you want
And who is left to pay? 
The poor little girl that you saw in dismay. 
You won this battle, that is for sure
But I promise you, you will not win the war. 

While you put up a battle inside of my head, 
I’m no longer clueless to you tactics and I see how you tread 
Quietly at times, then a thumping noise
But I will fight back, I will fight on
You will not beat me, no matter what,

I will go on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment