Monday, October 8, 2018

What went wrong? - poem

Funny, intelligent, strong 
Where the hell did it all go wrong? 
Planned, precise, perfect
Was my whole personality just a defect? 
I tried to do what was best
What I thought would please others
What I thought was best for myself
And now I’m withering in the gutters. 
I thought,
If I push myself, be the best I can
I will be happy, calm and content 
I would feel better in myself, more confident. 
I had everything going for me, grades, friends, a life 
and I wanted it so badly
But it became my crypto night. 

You see I have this voice in my head 
And it twists my world to the extremes. 
Black and white, right and wrong
There’s good and bad, big and small
And the rules became so strict, the wold so contorted and regimented 
And I didn’t belong. 
I couldn’t fit the mould made for me
I didn’t meet the expectations 
And if I didn’t manage, if I wasn’t perfect 
Then I was a failure, a humiliation. 

I wanted everything to be well
I wanted to be happy, and I wanted everyone around me to be 
But the more I ached for this , the more out of control I felt. 
I saw any sign of distress, unhappiness and sadness as a problem that I had to fix 
I saw any slipping grade, missed goal, Red Cross as a complete failiure, an embarrassment, shameful against my name
I slowly began to withdraw into a bubble 
That I felt I could contain. 

In this bubble, it felt safer, I could keep everything organised 
I wasn’t alone though, there was my ‘friend’, I thought an ally, but it was a disguise. 
The voice of ED pushed me harder than ever
And I thought it was for the best. 
The only things it allows me to remember
Are the successes it helped achieve, the A*’s in tests. 
The smiles on the teachers faces, when I did extra homework
The comments from school girls changed to an awe of my self control, self containment. 
All it allows me to remember is the feelings of calm,
The control, the success, how it promised me I’d come to no harm. 

But what it failed to warn me, and it block me from recalling 
Is the utter hell it really was, how each day became gruelling. 
What it fails to remember is the exhaustion that never stopped 
The way I felt so OUT of control
So low, confused and lost

It stops me from remembering
The looks of concern. The comments of anxious friend and worried teachers
The warnings id gone past the point of no return. 

What it fails to let me remember
Is the fear that I felt
Every night that I lay in my bed
Counting my pulse beat slower. 
How everyday I felt weaker
And my ED told me that was a sign to push harder. 
What it fails to remember is the pain
The confusion that starvation causes 
How my grades never stayed at A*, in fact they got completely halted. 
What it fails to remind me is the mental hell it induces 
That pushed me to such desperate lengths 
That saw me talk of every lie and excuses 
What it fails to remind me is there is no finish point with anorexia
I’ll never feel enough, I’ll never have permission to eat again
If im looking for it from the thing that wants to end me

What it fails to remind me is how I lost my friends, family, anyone I loved 
Because it twisted them in my eyes to the enemy that I could not trust. 
What it fails to remind me is that it almost killed me, more times than I fear to recall
What it blocks me from remembering is how it caught me in the cycle of setting me up to simply watch me fall. 
Because It pushed me to the point that was almost too far to forgive 

Before I realised just how much I wanted to live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment