Thursday, August 2, 2018

This is not me - poem

I look at the mirror
A stranger stares back
She looks as confused as me
Is this some kind of trap?
An optical illusion
Because this is not me
I am not the person
She acts to be. 

I am not deceitful, I do not lie
I am not cold, and rude
I do not want to die. 
I don’t hate the world
I do care about my friends 
I care about my family 
I like to make amends. 

But this person looking back
She’s a shell of a being. 
Her eyes are empty, her soul hyjacked
By the monster that rages within. 
Her hair is limp and lifeless 
Her skin is grey and cold
Her lips are dry and sealed tight 
She looks controlled. 
You can almost see
The black shadow that lingers 
A heavy weight she lugs around
That tugs her backward, pulls her down. 

She looks scared
She looks tired 
She fights, but the wrong thing, wrong people
And her strength has expired. 
She looks lost, and so alone
I’d want to wrap her up, make her feel at home

But you can quickly tell, she’s already gone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment