Wednesday, August 1, 2018

I’m the girl - poem

I’m the girl
That lost her sparkle 
That lost the will to live
That fought everyone that tried to help her
Because she didn’t want to exist. 

I’m the girl that resigned her life
To the illnesses that would kill her
That hated herself so much
She’s wanted nothing more than to disappear. 

I’m the girl that wept into her pillow at night
And hid away in her room
Hoping to remain out of sight. 
That was in so much mental hell
That she turned it on herself. 
She punished herself 
Tore herself down
Was so harsh and violent 
Self deprecating, abusive 
But outwardly, was silent. 
I’m the girl that starved herself
And took blades to her skin
That tried to end her life
Because she couldn’t cope with the pain within. 

I’m the girl that hit rock bottom
Only for the earth to collapse beneath her 
That fell so far down the rabbit hole
She couldn’t even believe there was a way up. 
She couldn’t believe it would ever get better. 

I’m the girl that wanted to die
Because living hurt so much.  
I’m the girl that hid in the wardrobe
That shut her eyes so tight, covered her ears
Hoping that if she made herself as small as possible
She would eventually just disappear. 

I’m the girl that shut out the world
Pushed everyone away, was deceitful, that lied 
That wanted nothing more 
Than to die. 

But I’m also the girl that stands here today
Able to tell my story 
Of the times I felt so wrenchingly hopeless 
So pained and angry 
So lost and alone 
Sad and terrified 
But here today because
Despite it all, I survived. 

I’m the girl that fought the demons
She swore had won. 
I’m the girl that needed a little bit of help
To see the fire hadn’t gone out completely,
Just dimmed in the storm. 
But a lot of hard work and patience 
Meant the single lasting flame 
Stood strong in the gales
And with a lot of dedication 
The fire started to warm again
The light began to glow
And I began to see it was worth it
Even if it felt slow. 

I’m the girl that got back up
Everytime I fell over 
I’m the girl that kept reminding herself to hold on
Because this pain couldn’t last forever. 

I’m the girl that had to learn to stand again
On her own two feet, and brace herself for the next hit. 
I had to learn that, yes, the storm would come, but I cannot quit. 

I’m the girl that was once so lost
So quiet, scared and hidden 
That now laughs, and smiles
That now has a vision. 
I want the days to be longer 
And the nights oh so starry. 
I want the sun to shine, the leaves to rust
I want the snow to fall, to accumulate in drifts. 
I want to dream in wanderlust. 
I want to meet more people 
And explore more places 
I want to live in this world 
To live, not just survive 
After all these years of not even living
I’ve been revived. 

I’m the girl that was told I would never get better 
The girl that was signed off as chronic. 
I’m the girl that was turned away by help
For being too complex, too chaotic. 
I’m also the girl that never stopped fighting 
No matter what my illnesses told me
No matter how torn down I felt
Because I wanted to be free. 
And I kept going, no matter the cards I was dealt. 

I’m the girl, that is not supposed to be here. 
But I stand here today, strong, alive
And ready to take on the world 
Because despite all the odds,

I did survive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment